Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cathedral Window

I still remember the first time I saw a Cathedral Window Quilt. An antique Cathedral Window Quilt was displayed at the Peteetneet Quilt Show, and I was awed. It looked so intricate, delicate, and beautiful. However, I also thought I would never make one myself.

Soon, I was seeing modern versions of the Cathedral Window and modern ways of piecing it popping up on pinterest and quilt blogs. It quickly found a place on my Quilty Bucket List. But, no matter how many online tutorials and videos I watched, I couldn't quite grasp how it was made.

The mystery surrounding this design was recently dispelled for me. At Quilt Fest, I took a class on making Cathedral Window quilt by machine. I didn't make a whole quilt, but I learned the basics and made a small sample. 

All the stitching is done by machine.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Modern Cathedral Window Quilt


Some parts are obviously better than others. But, this was my first attempt.

I do like how quickly this comes together by piecing it by machine. However, I'm not too keen about all the stitching in the center point. I think I will need to make some adjustments to the instructions so that I'm not stitching over that point so many times. It just looks messy to me. I don't like messy. 

I love that I now have the know-how on how to make this elusive design. Now to decide on what I want to make with this. Do I make an actual quilt? What size? Or do I make a cute pillow? 

Choices Choices!

Linked up with Let's Bee Social here.
Linked up with WIP Wednesday here.
Linked up with Show Off Saturday here.

No comments:

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg