Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Tuesday Tip #5 - The Importance of Labeling Solids


We've all had those moments where we think to ourselves, "I'll remember this. I don't need to write this down." We live to regret those words. 

My moment came while making my Honey Honey quilt. I was testing the pattern for Esther, and had pulled fabric from my stash. I reasoned I had enough fabric for this pattern--it was going to be alright. Unfortunately, I also lived to regret those words.  I had to remake about 16 units because I had misread the instructions. I ran out of the gray fabric, but I thought it wouldn't be a problem to match. I was pretty sure of the fabric's brand and where I had purchased it. Oh, how so very wrong. I searched for 2 days! Finally, after giving a swatch to my mom to help in the search, my mom called to tell me she found it. I was looking at the wrong brand entirely! 

BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Tuesday Tip, Organize Solid Fabrics
 

I vowed to never let this happen again. 

  • STEP ONE - WHILE AT THE STORE, WRITE IT DOWN!

 A lot of quilting fabric will have the company, designer, and pattern printed on the selvage. However, solids don't follow this trend. Neither do Batiks. However, this information can be found on the bolt. You know--where you look for the price? Yeah, there.

While at the store, write down both brand and color! This is easy to do while the fabric is being cut. .

BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Tuesday Tip, Organize Solid Fabrics
Write it Down!

  • STEP TWO - LABEL YOUR FABRIC
I have two ways I do this. 

My preferred method is with a permanent fabric pen. Do not use a Frixion pen or any other marking pen--the ink will disappear, and you lose all your precious information!

BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Tuesday Tip, Organize Solid Fabrics
 

Unfold your fabric. Write the fabric's make and color on the selvage. You're going to cut it off eventually, so you aren't losing out on any fabric.

BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Tuesday Tip, Organize Solid Fabrics
Label Your Fabric

Or, you can label your fabric with paper and pin. Again, be sure to write down the fabric make and color. I pin it at the selvage (over the holes.) This way, I'm not accidentally damaging any usable fabric.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Tuesday Tip, Organize Solid Fabrics
Label Your Fabric

I found it necessary to use this method for my really dark fabrics, or true blacks.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Tuesday Tip, Organize Solid Fabrics
Label Your Fabric

You may be asking yourself, "Self? Is this really necessary?" From one self to another, it really is. Unless you want to be chasing down that elusive color. Was it Kona? Or Moda? Hmm. Is that blue I need called "Cloud," "Blue Bell," or "Cornflower?" Can't quite tell--and it's harder to tell when you are looking at two entirely different brands.

Don't leave it up to chance! Don't waste 2+ days searching for an exact match! Write it down and keep it with the fabric so you can always match your fabric later if the need arises. 

And Murphy's Law states: "You will always need to match fabric you didn't label." 

Okay, I made that up. But it totally sounds legit, right?

Linked up to Stitch by Stitch here



No comments:

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg