Wednesday, January 15, 2014

WIP Wednesday #28 - Pinwheels

One of the things I've been working on is my Pocket Full of Pinwheels project. This started as a class I took at QuiltFest. I wanted MORE pinwheels than what the teacher taught. So, I spent some time on quilt blogs and pinterest to find ideas of other pinwheels.

First, I did these simple pinwheels. And yes, I meant to do them going different directions. Because I can. 
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Pinwheel Quilt Blocks


These have to be my new favorite pinwheel blocks I've made.
I got the idea off of Gen X Quilter's Quilt Library. It is entry 317 called "Dutchman's Puzzle."
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Pinwheel Quilt Blocks


I didn't like the directions used for the block, so I developed my own.
When I make Flying Geese, I don't like doing the flippy corners because of the waste and because of sewing on the bias. I like the "no waste" method...which I had to adapt to make sure I got different colors for my "sky" to make the hidden pinwheel in the middle.

Have you tried the flying geese "no waste" method? It's so easy peasy. You can find a tutorial here.

I've got lots and lots of pinwheel blocks. So, now I'm laying them out to see how I want to arrange my quilt. While I was playing with my blocks, S came along and wanted to try to get them to all fit. 
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Pinwheel Quilt Blocks
Organizing the Quilt Blocks

S arranged and rearranged fabric for at least half an hour. It was so fun to see him crawling all over the floor playing with the layout. We still haven't committed to a specific layout, but we are getting ideas. 

Seeing it all laid out, I still think I want more blocks. So, I'm back to searching for more ideas.

Linked to Freshly Pieced here.
Linked to Sew Fresh Quilts here.

4 comments:

Allison said...

It's a big fun puzzle!! What fun for a child:) Pinwheels are always a blast to create!

Allison said...

Hi Sara - I think that is exactly what my son thought--that it was a big puzzle to play with. He was so determined to make it all fit. Thanks for stopping by.

Allison said...

Looks like you are having a great time making a wonderful variety of pin wheel blocks. They are all very pretty! Looking forward to following your progress on this project! Don't you just love it when your kids take an interest in what you are doing? That is such a sweet shot. Thanks so much for sharing this at the Let's Bee Social party!

Allison said...

Hi Lorna - I am having a lot of fun with this project. I think the variety is one of the main things I'm loving about it.

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg