Wednesday, January 8, 2014

WIP Wednesday #27 - Wheel of Fortune

I took a digital time-out over the Holidays. I was able to spend a lot of time with my family, enjoy the Holidays, and sew. Of course it seemed like the perfect time to start a new project...despite my ever growing list of WIP. What's one more project? Right?  I did work on some of my existing projects, but just needed something different to break up the "monotony" of working on the same thing.

I have been admiring this pattern for a while now. 
I found a free paper piecing pattern at quilter's cache here.

BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Wheel of Fortune Quilt, 2 color Quilt, Pink & White Quilt
Wheel of Fortune Quilt in Progress

I've raided my scraps for any pinks. Then, I cut off about a 5" strip off all my pink fabric in my stash. I still have a LOT of pink to use up, which is a good thing since I want to make more blocks. I really should decide on how big I want to make this thing. For now, I'm just going to keep making blocks. 

I love the precision of paper piecing. 
And, I really like the secondary design that shows up--can you see the star that shows up in the negative space? 

As I'm piecing this, I'm starting to wonder how I will eventually quilt it. 
It's never too early to think about the quilting stage. 

The only thing I can think of at this time is doing a spiral out from the center of the wheel. But then what in the "star" area? Hmmm.
BabcoUnlimited.blogspot.com - Wheel of Fortune Quilt, 2 color Quilt, Pink & White Quilt
Wheel of Fortune Quilt in Progress

Any ideas out there? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Have you seen the Wheel of Fortune quilted? What did you like about it? What didn't you like?
All the examples I've been able to find are just the finished top, not quilted.

Linked up with Modern Traditional Quilts here.
Linked up with Freshly Pieced here
Linked up with Quiet Play here.



17 comments:

Allison said...

Love block in pink and white. I think it the block is on my list of things to try.

Allison said...

I love your "Wheel of Fortune" quilt the pinks and white are beautiful! If you want, in the diamond area you could start at the center and drive feather plumes down the seamline. The plumes would set apart from the swirl you're doing in the wheel portion of the block. Also, thanks for sharing your link on Modern Tradition Quilts--this was my very first time hosting a linky party and I'm delighted you participated! Thanks!

Allison said...

Cool blocks! You could echo the shape of that star inwards into the negative space. Or maybe some kind of point-to-point quilting between the 4 star points.

Kim
http://tiesthatbindquilting.wordpress.com/

Allison said...

I love the look with the secondary pattern/star. I would probably emphasis the star somehow with quilting?

Allison said...

I love it, too. It had been sitting in my pile of things to try for a long time. It really is a super simple paper piecing--only 4 fabrics in each piece with no crazy or weird angles, etc. When you do finally try it out, I'd love to see it. Be sure to share.


Thanks for stopping by

Allison said...

Hi Shannon--Thanks for hosting a new Linky Party. I love them. And I like the idea of feather plumes in the diamond area--I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to play with that idea in my doodlings. Thanks for the idea!

Allison said...

Thanks for stopping by. I love the secondary pattern/star as well. When I first saw this pattern, that was the first thing I saw. I hope to emphasis it somehow, just not sure how. I think I need to do as another commentor stated in making sure I have a contrast to how I quilt the star and how I quilt the wheel.

Allison said...

Hi Kim--thanks for stopping by and helping me out with my question. I like that idea. The straight lines would contrast the circular design of the wheel helping to emphasis the star. I'll have to add that to the growing list of suggestions.

Allison said...

It looks fabulous! I'd go with echoing the star with straight lines I think!

Allison said...

These are very pretty in your pink fabrics! Love this block.

Allison said...

Hi Kristy - Thanks for hosting the Linky Party! Love having a place to see other quilters at work. And thanks for stopping by. I think I will do the echoing straight lines in the star area. The more I look at it, the more I'm leaning that way.

Allison said...

Hi Susie--Thanks for stopping by. I love the pink fabrics as well. Who knew I had so many? I love this block as well and having a lot of fun making it.

Allison said...

This is going to be adorable...I love pink. It is sososo interesting the way it is all going together. Good luck making the big decision on your quilting pattern.

Allison said...

Hi Eugenia - Thanks for the kind words. It is so fun to put together, and I'm loving the pink. Thanks for the good luck wishes--I'll need it.

Allison said...

Thanks so much - I'm really loving it, too. I'm hoping I can pull off the quilting in spirals. I'm pretty confident in my piecing skills, but my quilting skills aren't that developed. This will sure help me! Thanks for stopping by.

Allison said...

These are so beautiful! I love the pinks. I have seen the stars quilted with feathers and they are really lovely. I've also seen the star with straight line quilting but the fins on the wheels with half a feather, which gives it more movement. Lots of possibilities! Well done!

http://www.busyneedle.ch

Allison said...

Wow--thanks so much for the feedback and ideas. I hadn't thought of feathers in the fins of the wheel. I think that would be beautiful. It's sometimes hard to decide because there ARE so many possibilities. Thank you for stopping by.

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg