Sunday, November 22, 2009

No Peanuts Please

A couple of weeks ago, I sent MK & S to daycare while I had to work. When I picked them up, my friend who watches them was a bit nervous about MK--MK's eyes were getting puffy. She said that it started shortly after lunch and thought it was just "tired eyes." She put MK down for a nap, but noticed that her eyes got worse and worse during the nap. When I picked her up, they were pretty bad. It kinda reminded me of when my little brother would get stung by a bee....okay, maybe not that bad. Apparently, the kids had PB&J for lunch. MK didn't eat the sandwich, but just picked at the bread. (She gets that bread obsession from me.) She'd eaten PB before, eating big bites from R's sandwiches. I took her home and gave her benadryl, which helped. It wasn't until about 36 hours later that all the swelling was gone.

I took her into the doctor for her 15 month check up (I still can't believe she's that old!) and had her tested for peanut allergy. I was so impressed with the ladies who took MK's blood--MK never bruised and they were SO fast. Anyways--we got back the results this past week: MK is highly allergic to peanuts.

Now, we are reading up on peanut allergies. This should be interesting

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

WOW! That stinks! Glad the reaction wasn't worse than it was. I can STILL picture David with a swollen head from the bee sting!

Marie said...

I agree with Stephanie - this stinks! I'm glad you found this out before something really serious happened to our MK.

Julia said...

Ah nuts! I've Always heard about how wary parents should be about nut allergies. I'm not sure we could keep them away from our baby. At 16 months she grAbbed the can and opens them herself.

So, I guess peanut butter is out? Ah;) I remember the whole bread obsession in France. Always stopping at the boulangerie for a fresh baguette. Mmm, yum!

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg