Saturday, November 15, 2008

Field Trip to the Fire Station

S's preschool had a field trip to the local Fire Station, and MK and I got to go along with him and his class. I bundled MK up in the stroller and tagged along. MK did great--didn't fuss and fell asleep near the end. Anyways, it's a pretty impressive building that was built only a couple of years ago. The kids got to go inside an ambulance as well as a firetruck. Each child could try on a firefighter's hat and coat, but S (and a few others) didn't want to do it. It was funny to see the other kids put it on and see how the coat just drowned them--it'd drape to the ground. The tour included the police station as well. We got to see where police officers take finger prints and interrogate suspects.

It was fun to be able to do this with him. I didn't get to go when C was in preschool. C's first year in preschool, he broke his collar bone the night before the field trip. His second year, I had to work.

Here is S examining the inside of a firetruck. I love that he wore his "fire beanie" for the field trip. It's black with red flames. Fitting, isn't it?

 
At the end, the EMT doing the tour handed out rulers for each kid. He prefaced this by asking the kids not to hit with them or play swords with them. He was talking to a group of 3-4 year-olds. Even as he was handing them out, kids were starting to play "star wars" and more. I got another picture near the end with S in front of a firetruck holding his ruler.

S at the Firestation
It was a fun morning. I had a great time spending time with S and being able to be a part of his preschool experience. He loves preschool and is learning so much. He surprises me with how much he learns and remembers. This year, his teachers are teaching the alphabet in sign language along with the written alphabet. The other night, we were sitting around reading scriptures and then goofing around as a family. I don't remember why, but C, S and I were raising our hands for some crazy reason I can't remember any more. All the sudden, S told me that that (us holding our hands up, fingers closed) was the letter 'B.' It took me a while to understand what he was talking about, but he was right. It was the letter 'B.' He's gone on to tell me what other letters he knows. What a fun kid!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Maybe the S stands for 'sharp'! That's neat that he's learning the sign language alphabet.

Love the hat!!

Marie said...

What fun! I hope that S continues with the sign language. You could also through in some French.

 photo tw_1.jpg  photo fb_1.jpg  photo ins_1.jpg  photo bl_1.jpg  photo tum_1.jpg  photo gplus_1.jpg  photo pin.jpg  photo yt.jpg